News

Lives of two boys destroyed after being sodomised

THEY were two young boys growing up in Bundaberg in the early '80s, gifted athletes destined for bright futures.

Today, they are middle-aged men, haven't been able to keep a job, have struggled with substance abuse and depression, and have never been able to have a lasting intimate relationship.

And it's all because of 63-year-old Noel Gough - the monster who horrifically sodomised the two boys, then aged 13 and 14, at a bowling alley where he worked as a cleaner, between August 1983 and January 1984.

Gough pleaded guilty to seven sex offences in the Bundaberg District Court on Monday, including indecent treatment of a child under 14 and sodomy.

Crown prosecutor Sam Bain said Gough, then 33, had befriended one of the boys on a fishing trip and from there, used his position of trust to take advantage of the two boys by performing sex acts on them, including oral and anal sex, which left one of the teenagers injured for days.

"This offending has had devastating impacts," he said.

Gough has previously served about four years in prison for committing similar offences on other young boys in 2000 and 2005.

Defence barrister Patrick Wilson said there was "no doubt" Gough was a man with a "long-term issue".

"He's a man who was very seriously sexually abused himself at a young age," he said.

Judge Leanne Clare said, tragically, both victims had withdrawn from society.

"Free access to a bowling alley at 3am would have seemed like an adventure for a young boy," she said.

"Your motives, however, were more sinister.

"Two young lives were overcome by the poison of your abuse."

Judge Clare said Gough's behaviour was "calculated and predatory" on children who were particularly vulnerable.

She said one of the victims was forever haunted by the sound of Gough's jangling janitor's keys.

"It's said you were the victim of sexual abuse by your own family," she said.

"If that is true, it must have been a terrible burden to bear.

"But having been a victim is no excuse because you, as much as anyone, ought to know how toxic childhood abuse can be."

Because the offences happened in the '80s, Gough had to be sentenced in accordance with the legislation of that time.

"The approach of the courts to sentencing was not as severe as it is today for people who preyed on young children," Judge Clare said.

Gough was given a head sentence of five years for his crimes, to be suspended after he has served nine months.

Topics:  bundaberg district court, charges, sodomy



Week of highs for Bundaberg Sugar

SWEET: The sugar crush is going well.

There is plenty of good news for Bundaberg sugar

Bundy skating rink to close after 30 years

MEMORIES: Koby Irvine at Extreme Skate Zone.

End of an era for rolling skating rink

Local Partners

Lady Gaga confirms Super Bowl show

Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga to perform in coveted spot

Girls actors give emotional tributes to hit show

Actor Allison Williams

Actors farewell smash hit HBO show Girls after six seasons

Janet Jackson's pregnancy is 'best thing'

Janet Jackson

Janet Jackson can't wait to become a mum

Jay Z signs two-year movie and TV deal

Rapper Jay Z

Rapper Jay Z has signed a television and movie deal

Nowhere to Hyde: Matt Nable is Australia's man in demand

Matt Nable stars as Detective Gary Hyde in the TV series Hyde & Seek.

NABLE returns to the small screen amidst busy film work.

Marvel's Luke Cage S1E7: Manifest review

Mike Colter in a scene from the TV series Marvel's Luke Cage. Supplied by Netflix.

*WARNING: spoilers if you haven't seen Marvel's Luke Cage*

Beach-side real estate starts at $85k on Fraser Coast

HERVEY BAY REAL ESTATE: You can buy this townhouse in Scarness for under $300k.

Live your beach-living dream locally.

$40million hotel, shops development project for Mackay

Mt Pleasant hotel and retirement accommodation, proposed at 194-202 Malcomson St.

$40m development to take Mackay to 'the next level'

Developers boost confidence in Bundaberg property market

Slow and steady growth has always been Bundaberg’s way

Property 200m from ocean selling for just over $100K

BEACHCOMBER PARK: Work has started on a new $19.2 million development at Toogoom.

The estate's developer is offering huge discounts for early buyers.

UPDATE: Former rodeo champ's sale rained out, now back on

Larkhill local Ken Consiglio is having an auction of most of the things on his property.

'People kept showing up and we had to turn them away'

First stages of $25 million housing development underway

New development on Madsen Rd - The Springs.

The blocks of land are much bigger than usual