News

Hunger striker transferred to Australia 'temporarily'

AN asylum seeker who has been on a hunger strike for almost 50 days has been transferred to Australia to undergo urgent medical attention.

There were reports earlier this week of the man, who is believed to be Iranian, being hospitalised in Nauru, prompting Greens Senator Sarah Hanson-Young to call on Immigration Minister Chris Bowen to intervene.

The Department of Immigration confirmed after 5pm on Friday that the man had been transferred to Australia "temporarily" because his condition had deteriorated to a point where he could not be treated on Nauru.

A department spokesman would not provide further details about whether the man had ingested any food or specifics about his medical condition.

The decision was based on a recommendation by the department's health services provider, International Health and Medical Services.

As soon as he is deemed fit to travel the man will be returned to the processing centre on Nauru.

Meanwhile, a second group of asylum seekers, including 12 children, has been transferred to the regional processing centre on Manus Island.

The department said the transfer was made up entirely of eight families from Sri Lanka and Iran and included 16 adults and the children.

They arrived in Papua New Guinea early on Friday.

The selection of this group was based on "operational considerations and an assessment of their particular circumstances", the department said.

Topics:  hunger strike, manus island, nauru




Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

'All I heard when my baby cried was ‘you’re a terrible mum'

APN Hey Mummy Feature for online - stock images of Katie Dykes. Photo Marc Stapelberg / The Northern Star

KATIE'S battle with PND is not unlike many mothers.

'I just thought all mums got no sleep'

MELTOPIA battled PND with all four of her children.

4 survival tips for mummas heading back to work

The few reminders every working mum needs to read.

Health and nutrition with kids - how do you balance it?

HOW important is health and nutrition in your household?

Smack or no smack - where do you stand?

THE debate is reignited - is smacking acceptable?

Technology and kids: Do you ever cut their wi-fi?

Check out our new video series featuring mums having a chat

Were these trees killed for sea views?

DEVASTATED: Mike Johnson is disgusted someone has burnt eight she-oaks.

Outrage after eight trees burnt

Do you like pizza? Do you like beer? Jandas is here

NEW BUSINESS: Melanie Szalkowski serves fresh creations at Jandas pizzeria on Bourbong, St Bundaberg. Photo: Paul Donaldson / NewsMail

Fresh, local ingredients key to a great pizza

Latest deals and offers

PCYC Performing for Nanning Delegates

GARDEN PERFORMANCE: Nanning delegates talk to PCYC Blazers coordinator Trevor Standfast at the Botanical Gardens Bundaberg. Photo: Paul Donaldson / NewsMail

A short video of the PCYC Blazers performing their Lion Dancing for the Nanning...

Bundaberg Regional Budget

BUDGET PLAN: Council released the regional budget today at the Bundaberg Council Chambers. Photo: Paul Donaldson / NewsMail

Mayor Jack Dempsey talks about the budget for the Bundaberg Region.

Clive Palmer to re-open refinery

Clive Palmer on ABC radio.

Clive Palmer talks about his achievements, election chances and re-opening the...

Burnett Heads housing development approved

COUNCIL APPROVED: A Burnett Heads housing development has been approved by Bundaberg Regional Council. Photo Contributed

Councillors approved the development seven votes to four

Three bedroom, 1100sqm block: Is this Qld's cheapest home?

BARGAIN BUY: Is this North Bundaberg property the cheapest home in Queensland?

Becoming a real estate mogul is all about risk and reward