ONLINE dating site RSVP shares their top tips for how to pen the perfect love letter this Valentine's Day - or any day you want to show someone how much you care.
RSVP Dating and Relationship expert, John Aiken recommends:
1. Be you - your partner loves you for who you are. When starting out your love letter, just be yourself and explain your feelings in your own words. You don't need to be the next Shakespeare in the making. Many beautiful love letters haven't got past the thoughts in someone's head due to stage fright. Just put pen to paper and get writing.
2. Be raw - don't be afraid to open up your inner most feelings - that's what writing a love letter is all about. Share your feelings, embrace them and own them. It's OK to feel vulnerable. Your loved one will appreciate your honesty and openness.
3. Take your time - in this day and age of social media, texting and email, we tend to run on auto-pilot. Communication is fast, often reactive and immediate. When penning your love letter, get in the zone. Slow down, breathe and let your feelings flow. Get in touch with yourself and with your feelings. This will help you to express yourself in an authentic, meaningful way.
4. Plot it out - if you run out of steam after the first para, then take inspiration from plotting a novel - look back to the past and how you met, comment about the present and anticipate the joys of the future.
5. Presentation - express your style. A love letter can be anything you want it to be - scribbled on the back of an envelope, crafted on parchment with a beautiful ink pen, or just a few sentences on scrap paper. And if you're worried about making a mistake - choose an erasable ink pen so you can start again.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.