CURRENT quarry operations in the Innes Park area will come to an end in December 2016 after a five-year permit extension application by Boral was knocked back.
Owners of the Boral quarry at 373 Back Windermere Rd, where the planning permit was due to expire in March this year, applied to have the permit extended by five years but the Planning and Environment Court has ordered they wrap up operations by March 22, 2016.
The order by Judge Richard Jones will allow Boral to continue extraction operations at the quarry until March 22, 2015 but no further blasting will be allowed at the site.
Boral will then be given one more year until March 2016 to sell and stockpile material and rehabilitate the site.
It comes after a similar application was brought by Holcim to secure a second extension on a permit for a quarry just north of the Boral site.
"In Holcim, the development application as initially conditioned would have expired after 15 years on 13 April 2009," Judge Jones said.
"Following proceedings in this court, in April 2009, Holcim's permit was extended through until 30 12 April 2014.
"A further two years and eight month extension was sought when this matter came before me on 20 May 2014."
In the Holcim case, the relief sought was granted but under strict conditions which will see extraction operations cease by November 30 this year with the site only allowed to be used for sale, stockpile and rehabilitation until
December 31, 2016.
"As I indicated in Holcim, it would be in the public interest to have the (Boral) site rehabilitated, including the removal of stockpiles, as quickly as is practicable," Judge Jones said.
"And, as far as the more proximate residents are concerned, to have all quarrying operations ceased as soon as possible.
"Any informed potential submitter would, in my view, be greatly comforted by the limited operations and certainty provided by the now proposed condition. He would also be alert to the fact that if this relief were refused, Boral would, by necessity, have to make an application to the respondent counsel to permit quarrying to continue, even if only limited to site rehabilitation."
Deputy Premier and Planning Minister Jeff Seeney is currently reviewing an application for another Holcim quarry in the Innes Park area.
The application was called in earlier this year with a decision expected in July but the matter has been delayed.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.