News

Drive-in driven out

SHOW ENDS: Outdoor Big Screen's Steven Greenwood and Innes Park Country Club owner Clint Jensen are disappointed the drive-in will be cancelled unless another venue can be found.
SHOW ENDS: Outdoor Big Screen's Steven Greenwood and Innes Park Country Club owner Clint Jensen are disappointed the drive-in will be cancelled unless another venue can be found. Mike Knott

THE future of an affordable event for Bundaberg families is in doubt after the owners of the Innes Park Country Club were informed by Bundaberg Regional Council that the drive-in nights and other events could no longer continue without appropriate permits.

Innes Park Country Club owner Clint Jensen said the fee to lodge the application to get council permission was too high and as a result the monthly movie nights would no longer be held at the golf course.

"It's $6000-$15,000 just to lodge the application," he said.

"The drive-in doesn't make enough money to justify paying that amount.

"You have to pay the fees just to lodge the application and there is no guarantee it will get approved."

Mr Jensen said he would now consider his options as he was yet to make a decision on the future of Beerfestabull, which attracted thousands of visitors to the country club earlier this year.

"It's disappointing," he said.

The council's Planning and Development spokesman Ross Sommerfeld said the council had acted on legal advice and had requested the Innes Park Country Club apply for a material change of use for the land if the club wished to host events outside the realms of a golf course.

"We informed the owners before this year's bull riding event that they would have to put in an application for any future events," he said.

"We allowed them to go ahead this year without proper permission because by the time council was aware, the event had already been organised."

Cr Sommerfeld said if the club decided to apply for the correct permits, the process would give members of the public the opportunity to comment on the application.

"The golf course is right beside residential homes and concerns have been raised," he said.

"These rules are put in place to protect both parties.

"Requirements such as car parking and making sure noise levels are not exceeded will be considered by council staff and a recommendation will be made."

Outdoor Big Screens owner Steven Greenwood, who ran the drive-in nights in partnership with the Innes Park Country Club, said while he understood the council were only doing their job, he was extremely disappointed and at this stage a suitable replacement venue had not been found.

"We need land with level car parking, toilets, power and a raised area where the big screen can sit," he said.
 

Topics:  drive in



Three police cars respond to disturbance at Macca's

CALL OUT: Police were called to McDonald's on Targo St on Sunday night.

Large group of adults involved in a disturbance outs

Quality is the life of Brian

QUALITY ASSURED: Greg Bourne congratulates Brian Short on being nominated for one of the Queensland's highest safety awards.

Bundy's Brian, 73, nominated for top award

Time for Olivia to finally come home

Olivia Stapleton has been given the green light to return home after many months in hospital.

Nine year old soon to return to Bundaberg after cancer fight

Local Partners

Emily Blunt's (almost) singing career

Emily Blunt nearly became the British Britney Spears.

Angelina is blocking calls from Brad Pritt

Angelina Jolie has reportedly blocked Brad Pitt's number.

Bundy musician on the cusp of big break

MANGROVE MUSIC: Julia Anderson at Mon Repos, as she appears in In The Beginning.

Julia Anderson is starting to get noticed

Apocalyptica 'seek and destroy' sceptics with 'master' set

Apocalyptica play Max Watts in Brisbane on their Shadowmaker Tour.

Review of final show of Apocalyptica's tour

Rebecca Hall doesn't own a TV

Newspapers, yes. Television, not so much

Jaime King 'terrified' by son's heart surgery

Jamie King was "terrified" when her son went in for heart surgery.

Developers boost confidence in Bundaberg property market

Slow and steady growth has always been Bundaberg’s way

Property 200m from ocean selling for just over $100K

BEACHCOMBER PARK: Work has started on a new $19.2 million development at Toogoom.

The estate's developer is offering huge discounts for early buyers.

UPDATE: Former rodeo champ's sale rained out, now back on

Larkhill local Ken Consiglio is having an auction of most of the things on his property.

'People kept showing up and we had to turn them away'

First stages of $25 million housing development underway

New development on Madsen Rd - The Springs.

The blocks of land are much bigger than usual

Couple build their own 'tiny house' for $45k

Holly Bowen and Oli Bucher built their "tiny house" themselves, only hiring a plumber and an electrician. Photo/supplied

The house, which is built on a trailer and can be towed.

Rocky proves prime real estate in latest REIQ report

Kas Woch sold this Wood St home in Depot Hill for $107,000 in August.

A new investor's market as Rocky house prices hit lowest in state