BUNDABERG residents are being urged to make themselves aware of the risks associated with contaminated floodwaters.
Wide Bay Health and Hospital Services public health physician Margaret Young said it was important to be vigilant against the possible health risks.
"People on town water need to listen to the radio as council will announce any problems," she said.
"People on tank water should have their water filtered or boiled."
Dr Young said food kept in the fridge should be monitored closely if there had been a power outage.
"Especially perishable foods such as meat and fish," she said.
"Cold food needs to remain cold."
Dr Young said if there was any doubt, then throw it out.
She said any food kept in the freezer that had partially defrosted should not be refrozen.
"Either let it defrost further and eat it or throw it out," Dr Young said.
She said that this was a difficult time for Bundaberg residents, especially for the elderly.
"They should have a torch by their bedside," she said.
"Be careful with candles as left unattended they could cause a fire."
Dr Young said any cuts caused in flood water could lead to infection if left untreated.
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.