News

Division 5 recount denied

Kerry Short is disgusted after hearing many complaints made against Greg Barnes's actions at the Carlyle Gardens polling booth.
Kerry Short is disgusted after hearing many complaints made against Greg Barnes's actions at the Carlyle Gardens polling booth. Scottie Simmonds

DIVISION 5 candidate Kerry Short is fuming after the Electoral Commission of Queensland refused his request for a recount - despite just 57 votes separating him and winner Greg Barnes.

But in an email Mr Short received on Friday, following the closest race of the Bundaberg local elections, Queensland electoral commissioner David Kerslake turned down his request, saying it would need "firm grounds" to grant a recount.

"In this instance, the extent of the margin (57 votes) indicates to me that there is no objective likelihood that a recount would impact upon the final result," the letter said.

Cr Barnes, the sitting councillor, was declared the winner on Friday.

Mr Short said he was astounded a recount was refused when there was such a small margin between the two candidates, even after preferences were allocated.

"If there were just 28 votes which had gone to Barnes when they were meant for me, it could be completely different," he said.

The electoral commission has refused to answer why the recount was knocked back, or explain what circumstances would justify one.

Mr Short also questioned the commission's running of the elections, saying he believed few preferences were allocated because most voters had been told at polling stations to "just vote 1" by staff, despite the local elections being run under the optional preferential system.

The NewsMail reported after the election that a large number of voters had been told the same in booths across the region, and Bundaberg man Peter Gray lodged an official complaint with the commission about the issue.

Mr Short has also made complaints to the commission regarding what he saw as an unfair advantage to Cr Barnes.

He said he had been told by the chairman of the residents' committee that candidates were not allowed to attend the institutional voting at Carlyle Gardens held on April 18, which three of the four candidates respected, but that Cr Barnes had been allowed to hand out how-to-vote cards there.

Cr Barnes told the NewsMail he had been told no such thing, and that he had handed out how-to-vote cards and acted as a scrutineer in accordance with electoral law.

"I did everything the principal officer asked me to do," he said.

Topics:  bundaberg regional council, division 5, electoral commission of queensland, kerry short, politics, recount




Court hears Korean money exchange ended in shallow grave

Min Tae Kim was found buried in a shallow grave

Wand making not confined to the world of witchcraft and wizardry

The wands are made with feathers and materials. Photo Contributed

Harry Potter isn't the only one who can use a wand

Popular club for sale

FOR SALE: Brothers Sports Club.

An entertainment and sport venue is for sale.

Latest deals and offers

Elena wins MasterChef: “I’m ecstatic and eager to celebrate"

MasterChef Australia 2016 winner Elena Duggan, from Noosa.

NOOSA chefs survive marathon grand final dish by Heston Blumenthal.

Shannen Doherty shaves hair during cancer battle

Shannen Doherty has completely shaved off her hair

Brian McFadden makes daughters pay for own Christmas gifts

McFadden makes his daughters pay for half their presents

Lady Gaga is a godmother

Lady Gaga has become a godmother to her friends' daughter

Will Turbo be taken off TV?

Memes about Turbo are flowing on Social media.

PEOPLE want Turbo taken off TV, but will Prospero Productions the ma

Police charge in after Lohan claims fiance tried to kill her

"You tried to kill me. You're a f*****g psycho".

You can own this Queensland town for just $1

Yelarbon

Unprecedented auction of town's business centre with no reserve

Work starts on $15M Caloundra apartment building

Turning the first sod at the Aqua View Apartments site in Kings Beach are (from left) husband-and-wife developers Alex Yuan and Stella Sun with construction company Tomkins director Mike Tomkins and Councillor Tim Dwyer.

Developers excited about addition to Kings Beach skyline

72-year-old Coast developer set to start new project

GREEN LIGHT: The Cosmopolitan has been approved for development at Cotton Tree.

Meet the Canberran set to deliver another chapter for Coast suburb

Plans revealed for 1500-lot 'master-planned community'

Precinct will be bounded by Boundary St and Shoesmith Rd

Ecco Ripley sales run sparks prime release

MOVING IN: Sekisui House has announced the release of more residential blocks at Ecco Ripley.

Sekisui House is preparing to unveil more land at Ecco Ripley

The climb is slow but property on the way up

Michael Matusik, director of Matusik Property Insights.Photo Allan Reinikka / The Morning Bulletin

The improvement would be mild when compared to past cycles