News

Man to stand trial over crash that killed unborn baby

A 42-YEAR-OLD Bundaberg man has been committed to stand trial for a car crash in which his passenger lost her eye and her unborn child.

John Christopher Webb is charged with dangerous driving causing grievous bodily harm while affected by alcohol, relating to a car crash on November 12, 2013.

At the time of the crash, Webb's car was fitted with a drink driving interlock device which stops the vehicle from being started if the driver has been drinking.

Police allege a 38-year-old pregnant woman blew into interlock device fitted to Webb's car before getting in the passenger seat, while Webb's father Jeff got in the back seat.

Webb applied for bail during an appearance in Bundaberg Magistrates Court this morning but withdrew his application during police prosecutor Sergeant Barry Stevens' submissions opposing his release.

Sgt Stevens said it was alleged Webb smashed his red Honda into the back of a tractor travelling on the Isis Highway.

The prosecutor pointed to evidence given in a statement by the driver of the tractor who said she was driving on the far left of the road.

"I was travelling 55km an hour and heard a large bang and felt the tractor push forward," the driver's statement alleged.

Sgt Stevens pointed to evidence from a vehicle inspector who alleged there were no mechanical issues with the vehicle.

The prosecutor said a motorbike rider had also given evidence he had been travelling about 105km an hour when he was allegedly overtaken by Webb.

"I thought to myself, 'wow he's moving'," the man said in his statement.

Sgt Stevens said the motorbike rider gave evidence he saw Webb go to overtake the tractor before pulling back in because another vehicle was heading towards him in the opposite lane.

"I observed the red car pull back in and (saw) debris going flying," the statement read.

When Sgt Stevens began reading evidence from a man who alleged Webb and his father were intoxicated before getting in the car, Webb told his lawyer he no longer wanted to apply for bail.

The bail hearing was then ended and Magistrate John Smith committed Webb to stand trial in Bundaberg District Court at a date to be set and remanded him in custody.

Topics:  bundaberg magistrates court, traffic crashes




Gayndah ANZ is shutting its doors

THE Gayndah ANZ branch will officially close on October 19.

Twins can celebrate milestone together

SPECIAL BOND: Dyllan Carley (left) and twin sister Ashleigh didn’t think they would get to celebrate their 21st birthday together after Dyllan was involved in a car accident.

Dyllan Carley is back on light duties with the Green Army.

Utes to rumble at the Heads

FAMILY FUN: Enthusiasts come to enjoy the day at the Get Your Ute Out event held at the Lighthouse Hotel.

Get your ute out at Burnett Heads

Latest deals and offers

#SaveMarinaJoyce: How ISIS theory took over youtube channel

One young Youtuber accidentally gave rise to a conspiracy theory

Talking whiskey with Jack Daniel’s master distiller

It all comes down to the distillery

SIXTY MILES AHEAD sign with Eclipse Records, prepare new album 'Insanity'

Sixty Miles Ahead sign with Eclipse. Photo Contributed

Sixty Miles Ahead to release new album on Eclipse

Thy Art Is Murder are killing it

See Thy Art is Murder on their killer tour happening right now. Photo Contributed

We talk with Thy Art is Murder about touring, babies, and new music

Date announced for Prince tribute concert

A Prince tribute concert will take place later this year

Matt Damon is taking a break from acting

Matt Damon is taking a break to spend time with his family

Queensland's $1 town goes under the hammer today

The township of Yelarbon is up for sale.

Unprecedented auction of town's business centre with no reserve

Is Elliott Heads the next Byron Bay?

Could Elliott Heads be the next Byron or Noosa?

Work starts on $15M Caloundra apartment building

Turning the first sod at the Aqua View Apartments site in Kings Beach are (from left) husband-and-wife developers Alex Yuan and Stella Sun with construction company Tomkins director Mike Tomkins and Councillor Tim Dwyer.

Developers excited about addition to Kings Beach skyline

72-year-old Coast developer set to start new project

GREEN LIGHT: The Cosmopolitan has been approved for development at Cotton Tree.

Meet the Canberran set to deliver another chapter for Coast suburb

Plans revealed for 1500-lot 'master-planned community'

Precinct will be bounded by Boundary St and Shoesmith Rd

Ecco Ripley sales run sparks prime release

MOVING IN: Sekisui House has announced the release of more residential blocks at Ecco Ripley.

Sekisui House is preparing to unveil more land at Ecco Ripley