News

Canada bomb threat: 60 schools evacuated

Pupils were herded out of school towards 'safe' designation spots
Pupils were herded out of school towards 'safe' designation spots Independent News & Media

ALL schools have been evacuated in the Canadian province of Prince Edward Island following a potential bomb threat, say police.

More than 60 schools are affected.

Parents have been told they can collect their children from schools' designated safe locations.

Sergeant Kevin Bailey said local law enforcement got a call from Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) in Ottawa to say they had received a fax which threatened schools in Prince Edward Island.

The fax had indicated that a bomb had been placed in schools - it did not specify which of the more than 45 schools - and the bombs would be detonated on Wednesday, he said.

He added that the police had attended the schools, and consulted with staff, asking them to look out for anything suspicious.

The police did not bring in search dogs or carry out searches themselves. He said it would take "weeks" for dogs to sniff out every inch of the schools.

"There was no threat found. We are also aware that similar threats were found at schools in Nova Scotia and we are following up whether that threat is related to this one."

He said he did not know who was responsible but the police are investigating how many people were involved and whether the threat was a hoax.

He called for parents to remain calm.

Mr Bailey pointed out that this incident was a first in the history of the province.

"I don't recall such a threat to all schools in Prince Edward Island [before]," he said.

Parker Grimmer, director of the public schools on the Island, said he hoped this would not happen again.

"This is new for us. But we have procedures and plans and I'm confident we followed them," he said, adding that the schools would review their emergency process in case of a future evacuation.

College campuses in Nova Scotia were also evacuated earlier in the day following bomb threats but it is unclear whether the two events are related.

One of the campuses received a bomb threat shortly before 8am while the other campus had an unspecified threat, say police.

Prince Edward Island University was also closed down.

No injuries have been reported and all students are expected to return to school and college as normal on Thursday.

Two other "suspicious items" were reported outside cabinet and government offices in Halifax and near a library. They turned out to be a water cooler and rubbish, and police gave the all clear shortly after they were called to the scene.

The provnce is Canada's smallest, with a population of around 146,000.

Prime minister Justin Trudeau returned to Ontario last night after attending the United Nations summit in New York.

Topics:  bomb threat, canada, evacuation, school



No charges over photos of baby with drugs on chest

SAFE: The photo at the centre of the social media storm.

Police continue to investigate Facebook photos

Mystery over mass kill of animals at Botanic Gardens

DEAD IN THE WATER: Birds, turtles, eels and lizards are dying in alarming numbers at the Botanic Gardens in North Bundaberg.

Mystery over why animals are dropping dead at Botanic Gardens

Fuel thefts on the rise in the region

DRIVE OFFS: Theft of fuel is a growing concern in the Wide Bay region.

Drive-offs set to eclipse last year's total

Local Partners

Homer Simpson thanks Australia during Opera House visit

Homer Simpson visits the Sydney Opera House.

ANIMATION favourite gets attacked by seagulls in viral video.

Channel 9 orders second season of Doctor Doctor

Rodger Corser stars in the TV series Doctor Doctor.

RURAL medical drama finds a loyal following.

Katy Perry gets naked to encourage people to vote

Katy Perry in Funny Or Die sketch

Katy Perry has stripped naked for a comedy video

Jogging Tom Hanks crashes wedding in Central Park

Tom Hanks stopped for a selfie with this bride and groom

MOVIE REVIEW: Storks delivers family fun

A scene from the movie Storks.

ANIMATION can be hit or miss but when it hits, it hits hard.

Nick 'the snake' to call the shots on Survivor jury

Australian Survivor contestant Nick Iadanza.

LATEST evictee is out of the game but will still have a say.

$40million hotel, shops development project for Mackay

Mt Pleasant hotel and retirement accommodation, proposed at 194-202 Malcomson St.

$40m development to take Mackay to 'the next level'

Developers boost confidence in Bundaberg property market

Slow and steady growth has always been Bundaberg’s way

Property 200m from ocean selling for just over $100K

BEACHCOMBER PARK: Work has started on a new $19.2 million development at Toogoom.

The estate's developer is offering huge discounts for early buyers.

UPDATE: Former rodeo champ's sale rained out, now back on

Larkhill local Ken Consiglio is having an auction of most of the things on his property.

'People kept showing up and we had to turn them away'

First stages of $25 million housing development underway

New development on Madsen Rd - The Springs.

The blocks of land are much bigger than usual

Couple build their own 'tiny house' for $45k

Holly Bowen and Oli Bucher built their "tiny house" themselves, only hiring a plumber and an electrician. Photo/supplied

The house, which is built on a trailer and can be towed.