News

Boot campers discover used syringe at beach

WATCH YOUR STEP: Dave Quaile and Mat Templeman are concerned for the safety of beach users after they found a used syringe on their regular Sunday morning boot camp training session. Photo: Selina Ferrais / NewsMail
WATCH YOUR STEP: Dave Quaile and Mat Templeman are concerned for the safety of beach users after they found a used syringe on their regular Sunday morning boot camp training session. Photo: Selina Ferrais / NewsMail Selina Ferrais BUN250214KEL1

A BOOT camp leader has condemned the actions of the "low-life" who left a used syringe on Kelly's Beach that came dangerously close to putting the health of his participants at risk.

The discovery of the used syringe was made during one of Dave Quaile's free Sunday morning boot camp sessions at the beach at the weekend.

"What sort of low-life is going to shoot up on the beach and leave their filthy, used needles on the beach where people can come into contact with it?" Mr Quaile said.

What further fuelled the group's anger and shock was that there was a sharps disposal container located in toilets near where the group was training.

"What sort of animals are they?" Mr Quaile said.

"It's bad enough being a junkie in the beginning, but to have no regard for the public, I can't understand it."

Mr Quaile said the incident left the group of exercise enthusiasts scared and shocked.

"Everyone got angry with it because you've got kids in that area who play in the sand," he said.

"People are there walking, us training, and kids who just come to play in the sand."

Trish Johnson was at the group session said she was appalled that her own health, and that of those around her, was put at risk.

"They should think of everyone else's health - they need to be more responsible," she said.

Sadly, needle stick injuries can happen in places such as parks, playgrounds, laneways and public toilets.

What follows is a period of anxiety and distress while the victim waits - sometimes for months - for test results to come back.

Health experts say this is quite a natural response when thoughts of potential infection with blood borne viruses such as HIV, hepatitis B and C occur.

Should someone come into contact with a needle, it is advised to immediately wash the area around the puncture for at least 30 seconds, using soap and warm water.

Cover the site with a bandaid or similar dressing and seek medical advice

The most important tip is not to panic - the risk of catching a serious infection is very low as these viruses do not survive for long outside of the body.

Topics:  boot camp, editors picks, syringe




Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

'I apologise every day that I am not the person he married'

My battle with postnatal depression...

'My husband lasted 6 weeks as a stay at home dad'

APN Hey Mummy Feature for online - stock images. Katie Dykes being interviewed for the webisodes. Photo Marc Stapelberg / The Northern Star

FROM the outside, being a stay at home mum looks like a breeze.

THE EXPERT: Stop judging working mothers

SUPER MUMS: Being a working mums comes down to perfecting time management.

"WORKING for money is all right; so is working because you want to.”

Health and nutrition with kids - how do you balance it?

HOW important is health and nutrition in your household?

Smack or no smack - where do you stand?

THE debate is reignited - is smacking acceptable?

Technology and kids: Do you ever cut their wi-fi?

Check out our new video series featuring mums having a chat

Shower filmer escapes further time in jail

CONDITIONS OF USE NOT KNOWN, FEES MAY APPLY ON USE

Man pleads guilty to 19 offences of breaching his suspended sentence

Man hands himself into police after Macca's assault

Bundaberg Police Station Photo: Zach Hogg / NewsMail

Macca's security guard punched in carpark

Bundy mum turns love of party platters into a business

Leanne Baker with her two sons.

Party and event platters come in three styles

Latest deals and offers

Burnett Heads housing development approved

COUNCIL APPROVED: A Burnett Heads housing development has been approved by Bundaberg Regional Council. Photo Contributed

Councillors approved the development seven votes to four

Three bedroom, 1100sqm block: Is this Qld's cheapest home?

BARGAIN BUY: Is this North Bundaberg property the cheapest home in Queensland?

Becoming a real estate mogul is all about risk and reward