News

Asbestos contaminated mulch removed from garden

FROM behind closed doors and windows, a North Bundaberg couple watched as the garden they'd just finished fixing after floodwaters destroyed it for the second time, was once again ripped apart.

Andrew Jacenko and his wife Gail could only look on yesterday as a of team asbestos removal contractors gathered bag after bag of contaminated mulch from the garden beds around their yard.

Mr Jacenko said he first alerted council that the six trailers loads of mulch he bought from the Bundaberg Regional Council operated University Dr tip about three weeks ago might contain asbestos.

"It was full of iron and steel," he said.

"As I spread the fines over my grass I notice some pieces which looked like asbestos, I've renovated houses before so I knew what it looked like.

"I took samples when I went back to the tip."

Mr Jacenko said the council contacted him by phone when the test results were confirmed and offered to have the mulch and lawn removed and replaced.

"Our main concern is for our grandkids and what could happen in 20 years from now," he said.

"We pick them up every afternoon and they run around and played outside on the lawn.

"It's a low risk but we've put them on a register to say they've been exposed to asbestos so their doctors will be aware."

While the incident has left Mr Jacenko feeling disappointed, he said he would use the mulch from the tip again and was pleased to know the council was taking measures to monitor what was now being dumped and encouraged anyone who was concerned to contact council to have their mulch tested.

The council's waste and recycling spokesman Vince Habermann said council had only undertaken removal of mulch from one garden so far.

"We have been proactively contacting residents who purchased mulch during the period where contamination may have occurred," he said.

"We are pleased with the co-operation we have received from the residents we have contacted who are understandably concerned and are working with us to see the situation resolved."

Mr Habermann said the council would send a qualified professional to the properties to test samples of the mulch.

"Depending on the outcome of that test, council will be able to either reassure residents that their mulch is safe or assist them in safely removing it from their property.

"Anyone concerned that they may have purchased mulch during the possible contamination period should contact council on 1300883699."

"While a review process is still in progress and mulch sales remain on hold, one thing council has already identified is the need to obtain a name and contact method for any future mulch sales."

Topics:  asbestos, mulch, north bundaberg




Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

'I just thought all mums got no sleep'

MELTOPIA battled PND with all four of her children.

4 survival tips for mummas heading back to work

The few reminders every working mum needs to read.

'I apologise every day that I am not the person he married'

My battle with postnatal depression...

Health and nutrition with kids - how do you balance it?

HOW important is health and nutrition in your household?

Smack or no smack - where do you stand?

THE debate is reignited - is smacking acceptable?

Technology and kids: Do you ever cut their wi-fi?

Check out our new video series featuring mums having a chat

New discount store opens its doors in Bundy

Bargain Central.

A new discount store is in Bundaberg

Mother wants justice for her son

FATAL CRASH: Matthew Cooper was a passenger in the silver Toyota when the red Mitsubishi slammed into it, killing Mr Cooper on January 1, 2015. Photo: Ben Turnbull / NewsMail

“IS THAT all my son’s life is worth – 10 months?”

Latest deals and offers

Clive Palmer to re-open refinery

Clive Palmer on ABC radio.

Clive Palmer talks about his achievements, election chances and re-opening the...

Dash Cam of Slip in Snow

Even light snow can be hazardous.

Dash cam shows how easy it is to lose control in even light snow.

Chaos outside Istanbul Airport

Turkish police block the road after an suicide bomb attack at Ataturk Airport in Istanbul, Turkey, 28 June 2016. At least 10 people were killed in two separate explosions that hit Ataturk Airport.

Distress as cars escape Istanbul airport after bombing.

Burnett Heads housing development approved

COUNCIL APPROVED: A Burnett Heads housing development has been approved by Bundaberg Regional Council. Photo Contributed

Councillors approved the development seven votes to four

Three bedroom, 1100sqm block: Is this Qld's cheapest home?

BARGAIN BUY: Is this North Bundaberg property the cheapest home in Queensland?

Becoming a real estate mogul is all about risk and reward