News

Artist 'victimised' following arts festival controversy

MEMBERS of the local arts scene have expressed their disappointment at the approach taken by the Bundaberg Arts Festival committee, which they believe has publicly “shamed” the vision-impaired artist who had his work withdrawn for being too racy.
MEMBERS of the local arts scene have expressed their disappointment at the approach taken by the Bundaberg Arts Festival committee, which they believe has publicly “shamed” the vision-impaired artist who had his work withdrawn for being too racy.

MEMBERS of the local arts scene have expressed their disappointment at the approach taken by the Bundaberg Arts Festival committee, which they believe has publicly "shamed" the vision-impaired artist who had his work withdrawn for being too racy.

One of Dennis Mealor's festival entries, a nude photograph of a mature-aged woman titled Viva Italia, was suddenly pulled on the opening night of the Bundaberg Arts Festival last weekend.

After the NewsMail published the story with Mr Mealor on Wednesday, exhibition-goers were quick to notice signs going up in and around the Civic Centre of Mr Mealor's front page photo taped up beside another sign that said "shame".

Tomas O'Malley went to view the exhibition this week and said he did not think the posters were "particularly professional".

"I felt it had put a sour note on the exhibition," he said.

"I felt it was a little unfair the way they placed the photo of Dennis next to a big poster saying 'shame'."

Another guest at the opening night, who is also actively involved in the art scene, said it should have been left to the public to make their own judgment about the photograph.

"I think a lot of the organising committee is quite conservative and I think they made a judgment call on behalf of the community and I don't think it was their decision to make," she said.

And the man in the middle of the controversy, Mr Mealor, said he felt the actions of the committee were only one thing - "disgusting".

"I can take fair criticism, but to just use words like 'shame' and 'one man's whinge', is totally puerile and is attacking my character," he said.

"I feel like a naughty school boy being told off."

Mr Mealor said the matter could have been avoided had he received a phone call prior to opening night.

"Instead, this storm in a teacup - my nude photo - has been blown into a cyclone in a barrel," he said.

"This sort of decision affects all artists in the long run and stifles their creativity with a constant shadow of self-censorship."

The NewsMail tried to contact festival president Wendy Francis, but she refused to answer questions and hung up.

"If the NewsMail would care to send a reporter down to look at the exhibition ... they would be more than welcome," she said.
 

Topics:  bundaberg arts festival



Doug's name to live on

HONOUR: The late Doug Schofield, with a trophy recognising his fundraising for Bundaberg Region Crime Stoppers Committee, is being honoured by the council.

Plaque honours Doug's memory

Tannum man, 31, killed in Bruce Hwy smash involving truck

Car Crash Bruce Hwy

Traffic is being diverted through Gladstone

Beach goers get real-time view from webcams

CHECK CONDITIONS: A new app lets you watch webcams at coastal spots like Kellys Beach.

New initiative lets you check beach before heading out

Local Partners

Kim Kardashian West wants restraining order against prankster

She was attacked by Vitalii Sediuk for the second time in two years

Cliff Richard to release 101st album

Sir Cliff Richard's album cover

Sir Cliff Richard is to release his 101st album

CMC Rocks faces fan backlash over date change, headliners

The 10th annual CMC Rocks festival will be headlined by The Dixie Chicks.

FANS are not happy about festival being pushed back by two weeks.

Kim Kardashian West attacked by man trying to kiss her bottom

Vitalii Sediuk targeted Gigi Hadid last week

Madonna poses naked in solidarity with Katy Perry

Madonna posted her own nude selfie on Instagram

Beach-side real estate starts at $85k on Fraser Coast

HERVEY BAY REAL ESTATE: You can buy this townhouse in Scarness for under $300k.

Live your beach-living dream locally.

$40million hotel, shops development project for Mackay

Mt Pleasant hotel and retirement accommodation, proposed at 194-202 Malcomson St.

$40m development to take Mackay to 'the next level'

Developers boost confidence in Bundaberg property market

Slow and steady growth has always been Bundaberg’s way

Property 200m from ocean selling for just over $100K

BEACHCOMBER PARK: Work has started on a new $19.2 million development at Toogoom.

The estate's developer is offering huge discounts for early buyers.

UPDATE: Former rodeo champ's sale rained out, now back on

Larkhill local Ken Consiglio is having an auction of most of the things on his property.

'People kept showing up and we had to turn them away'

First stages of $25 million housing development underway

New development on Madsen Rd - The Springs.

The blocks of land are much bigger than usual