News

Ambulance rushes to man... but all he wanted was a sandwich

WHEN a Bundaberg ambulance crew was urgently called to the Riverside Parklands, it thought it was responding to a man having a seizure.

But it turned out that all he wanted was a sandwich.

On November 20 last year, homeless man Leslie Anthony Hall phoned Triple 0 with a fake story and yesterday he pleaded guilty in Bundaberg Magistrates Court to the offence of improperly using an emergency call service.

"The Queensland Ambulance Service received a Triple 0 call at 2pm on Wednesday, November 20 from the defendant," police prosecutor Senior Constable Vicki Kennedy-Grills said.

"He stated he was having a seizure and required immediate assistance."

But the ambulance officers found a very different situation when they located the 47-year-old man.

"He said he was hungry and wanted them to give him a sandwich," Snr Const Kennedy-Grills said.

"He was affected by alcohol.

"He said he was living on the street and was hungry."

Snr Const Kennedy-Grills said it was not the first time Hall had improperly used the call service.

"It is quite a serious charge, especially calling for the Queensland Ambulance Service continually," she said.

"Perhaps Mr Hall might need some help."

It was suggested Hall might be having withdrawal symptoms from alcohol and he sat in the docks shaking heavily with very red, bloodshot eyes.

"It appears he may be going through some withdrawal since being in the watch-house," Snr Const Glover said.

Hall told the court: "I apologise for ringing them."

Magistrate Deb Vasta agreed with the prosecutor's suggestion of Hall needing some assistance and placed him on a 12-month probation order in a bid to help him with his addiction, find accommodation and stabilise his life.

"Your probation officer needs to become your best friend and they will help you link in with the services that you need," Mrs Vasta said.

"Apparently you've done this in the past and they haven't taken action because they felt sorry for you.

"It's got to stop."

Topics:  bundaberg magistrates court, triple zero




Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

'All I heard when my baby cried was ‘you’re a terrible mum'

APN Hey Mummy Feature for online - stock images of Katie Dykes. Photo Marc Stapelberg / The Northern Star

KATIE'S battle with PND is not unlike many mothers.

'I just thought all mums got no sleep'

MELTOPIA battled PND with all four of her children.

4 survival tips for mummas heading back to work

The few reminders every working mum needs to read.

Health and nutrition with kids - how do you balance it?

HOW important is health and nutrition in your household?

Smack or no smack - where do you stand?

THE debate is reignited - is smacking acceptable?

Technology and kids: Do you ever cut their wi-fi?

Check out our new video series featuring mums having a chat

Your 2016 election day survival guide

Everything you need to know to ensure minimal inconvenience.

Minister celebrates QBPF anniversary

ELECTION TIME: Leanne Donaldson of the Labor Party is running for the State Government seat of Bundaberg. Photo: Mike Knott / NewsMail

Donaldson marks 50 years of fisheries

Presslers Rd to be closed for repairs

Roadworks: Prepare to Stop sign.
Photo Tracey Joynson / Fraser Coast Chronicle

Roadworks to be carried out

Latest deals and offers

PCYC Performing for Nanning Delegates

GARDEN PERFORMANCE: Nanning delegates talk to PCYC Blazers coordinator Trevor Standfast at the Botanical Gardens Bundaberg. Photo: Paul Donaldson / NewsMail

A short video of the PCYC Blazers performing their Lion Dancing for the Nanning...

Bundaberg Regional Budget

BUDGET PLAN: Council released the regional budget today at the Bundaberg Council Chambers. Photo: Paul Donaldson / NewsMail

Mayor Jack Dempsey talks about the budget for the Bundaberg Region.

Clive Palmer to re-open refinery

Clive Palmer on ABC radio.

Clive Palmer talks about his achievements, election chances and re-opening the...

Burnett Heads housing development approved

COUNCIL APPROVED: A Burnett Heads housing development has been approved by Bundaberg Regional Council. Photo Contributed

Councillors approved the development seven votes to four

Three bedroom, 1100sqm block: Is this Qld's cheapest home?

BARGAIN BUY: Is this North Bundaberg property the cheapest home in Queensland?

Becoming a real estate mogul is all about risk and reward