News

Many of our eateries fail to score any Eat Safe stars

MORE than 40% of Bundaberg's licensed food businesses have scored poorly in the council's Eat Safe program, with close to 200 premises receiving a zero or two star rating.

The rating system was introduced on July 1, following an audit process that gave these businesses a food safety rating from zero to five

Any ratings above a three mean these food outlets are either good, very good or excellent performers, while two stars deem them to be poor performers with a low level of compliance with the Food Act.

Further to that, any licensed food business that scores a zero is deemed to be a non-compliant performer with a "general failure" to comply with the act, with major effort required to rectify issues.

But despite all premises receiving a rating, only those that opt into the program with three or more stars can display their rating.

The council has confirmed only 58% of the licensed food businesses hold three stars or above.

"Due to privacy laws and the Eat Safe program policy, council does not have the permission to advise the community on which businesses receive a zero or two star rating," the council's Health and Regulatory Services spokesman Wayne Honor said.

"Despite this the program is incentive-based and allows the community to question those businesses who choose not to display their star rating."

Information obtained from the council by the NewsMail shows that 191 premises had a star rating of zero and two stars when the council carried out unofficial Eat Safe inspections during the 2013-14 financial year.

"The official Eat Safe inspections will be undertaken throughout 2014-15 and it is expected that many of these premises will be achieving three stars and above within the next 12 months," Cr Honor said.

Cr Honor said while no fines had been issued since the launch of Eat Safe, the council had issued eight fines under the Food Act in the 2013-14 year.

"Council's enforcement program operates separately from the Eat Safe program to deal with major offences and consistent minor breaches to the Food Act, and it has not altered in any way with the introduction of this program," Cr Honor said.

"While it's likely many zero or two star rated businesses will receive some type of enforcement action, the rating itself does not translate into a specific action that council will be taking on their business."

Cr Honor said 38 food businesses received a five-star rating but only 23 had agreed to formally participate in the program and display their star rating.

Topics:  food




Doctors differ on scan results

Inquest hear's Mr Plumb's condition got worse

Youths given a spray by builder

CREATIVE MURAL: Amy Harman, Jamie Kirby, Manahi Tapsell, Chris Bell, Robert Finlay and Latecha Norman working on the mural at 1 Palermo Ave Belle Eden.

JRZ Homes help youth get off the street

Wooden house razed as fire tears through home

The house fire in Givelda.Photo Contributed

Emergency crews rush to house fire

Latest deals and offers

Cyndi Lauper opens up about mother's dementia

Cyndi Lauper says her mother Catrine has "a little dementia".

Lindsay Lohan 'calls off engagement'

Lohan reportedly called off her engagement to Russian millionaire

Rob Kardashian 'neglected' by Blac Chyna

Friends say they are now 'back in love'

Isla Fisher: I don't like talking about my private life

Isla Fisher shut down TV hosts when they asked about her husband

Mariah Carey: I 'can't believe' Prince has gone

'Prince was one of the best people I've met'

You can own this Queensland town for just $1

Yelarbon

Unprecedented auction of town's business centre with no reserve

Work starts on $15M Caloundra apartment building

Turning the first sod at the Aqua View Apartments site in Kings Beach are (from left) husband-and-wife developers Alex Yuan and Stella Sun with construction company Tomkins director Mike Tomkins and Councillor Tim Dwyer.

Developers excited about addition to Kings Beach skyline

72-year-old Coast developer set to start new project

GREEN LIGHT: The Cosmopolitan has been approved for development at Cotton Tree.

Meet the Canberran set to deliver another chapter for Coast suburb

Plans revealed for 1500-lot 'master-planned community'

Precinct will be bounded by Boundary St and Shoesmith Rd

Ecco Ripley sales run sparks prime release

MOVING IN: Sekisui House has announced the release of more residential blocks at Ecco Ripley.

Sekisui House is preparing to unveil more land at Ecco Ripley

The climb is slow but property on the way up

Michael Matusik, director of Matusik Property Insights.Photo Allan Reinikka / The Morning Bulletin

The improvement would be mild when compared to past cycles