News

No bail for man over axe attacks

THE 54-year-old man who allegedly attacked an elderly man with an axe in the Bundaberg Lawn Cemetery on Saturday morning has been denied bail.

Kenan Demirci, of Avenell Heights, did not enter a plea to attempted murder when he appeared in Bundaberg Magistrates Court Monday morning.

Demirci, a man of average height with grey hair and a well-kept moustache, sat stoically in the docks as the bail application proceeded and did not react when Magistrate Jennifer Batts denied the application.

The accused, dressed in a brown prison jumper, blue pants and blue socks, remained handcuffed throughout proceedings.

Police prosecutor Sergeant Jason Toddman told the court the 74-year-old man Demirci allegedly attacked was left with major skull damage with skull fragments lodged in the man's head.

Sgt Toddman also handed up a series of documents explaining why police objected to Demirci receiving bail.

As Magistrate Jennifer Batts read the documents, a relative of Demirci began to loudly sob and as she was being escorted from the court room, the woman collapsed.

Ms Batts adjourned the court for a short period so the woman could leave and it could be determined whether she needed medical assistance.

Demirci calmly sat and watched as the woman was escorted from the court room.

Defence lawyer Rian Dwyer said Demirci was a Turkish national who cared for his disabled son.

Mr Dwyer said Demirci had been at the cemetery to visit the grave of his son who had died two months earlier.

He said Demirci had no intention of contacting the alleged victim

"They know each other but instructs they don't want to have anything to do with them," he said.

Mr Dwyer said Demirci had indicated he planned to fight the charge.

Ms Batts denied the bail application as she deemed Demirci an unacceptable risk to reoffend.

The matter is expected to return to court on June 1.

Topics:  attempted murder, bundaberg magistrates court



Week of highs for Bundaberg Sugar

SWEET: The sugar crush is going well.

There is plenty of good news for Bundaberg sugar

Photo prizes on offer for National Water Week

Money up for grabs with water photos

Local Partners

Britney Spears smoked cannabis as a teenager

Britney Spears

Britney Spears experimented with cannabis when she was 17.

Lady Gaga confirms Super Bowl show

Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga to perform in coveted spot

Girls actors give emotional tributes to hit show

Actor Allison Williams

Actors farewell smash hit HBO show Girls after six seasons

Janet Jackson's pregnancy is 'best thing'

Janet Jackson

Janet Jackson can't wait to become a mum

Jay Z signs two-year movie and TV deal

Rapper Jay Z

Rapper Jay Z has signed a television and movie deal

Nowhere to Hyde: Matt Nable is Australia's man in demand

Matt Nable stars as Detective Gary Hyde in the TV series Hyde & Seek.

NABLE returns to the small screen amidst busy film work.

Beach-side real estate starts at $85k on Fraser Coast

HERVEY BAY REAL ESTATE: You can buy this townhouse in Scarness for under $300k.

Live your beach-living dream locally.

$40million hotel, shops development project for Mackay

Mt Pleasant hotel and retirement accommodation, proposed at 194-202 Malcomson St.

$40m development to take Mackay to 'the next level'

Developers boost confidence in Bundaberg property market

Slow and steady growth has always been Bundaberg’s way

Property 200m from ocean selling for just over $100K

BEACHCOMBER PARK: Work has started on a new $19.2 million development at Toogoom.

The estate's developer is offering huge discounts for early buyers.

UPDATE: Former rodeo champ's sale rained out, now back on

Larkhill local Ken Consiglio is having an auction of most of the things on his property.

'People kept showing up and we had to turn them away'

First stages of $25 million housing development underway

New development on Madsen Rd - The Springs.

The blocks of land are much bigger than usual