News

Alleged $100k arsonist applied to go to Schoolies

A 17-YEAR-OLD Bundaberg man who allegedly lit a fire which caused $100,000 damage to a Salvation Army shed has had an application to vary his bail conditions so he could attend schoolies celebrations refused.

Richard John Collins fronted Bundaberg Magistrates Court yesterday where his lawyer Rian Dwyer made the application.

An Auslan Interpreter was on hand to ensure Collins, who suffers a hearing impairment, understood the proceedings.

Mr Dwyer told the court Collins was currently under strict residential, reporting and curfew bail conditions and requested the court consider changing those to enable the year 12 student to participate in post-school celebrations on the Sunshine Coast.

Mr Dwyer said the Scripture Union run camp had leaders and volunteers as part of the event and argued his client could still be subjected to curfew conditions during the camp.

Mr Dwyer said the current bail conditions were strict for a 17 year old He said his client had not breached the conditions since they were put in place on July 27.

"There is nothing to suggest Mr Collins is going to use this opportunity to go on a massive crime spree," he said.

But Police prosecutor Sergeant Vicki Kennedy-Grills objected to any variation and said the camp volunteers and group leaders would have no actual power over Collins. 

She said of the 600 participants attending, a percentage was high risk youth and there was the potential for Collins to bow to peer pressure if he was not under responsible supervision.

Magistrate Aaron Simpson refused the application saying while bail wasn't a punishment, it was about addressing the offender's risk of re-offending.

He said Collins appeared to be easily lead and felt he was at risk of re-offending if the bail conditions were varied.

Topics:  salvation army, schoolies




Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

'All I heard when my baby cried was ‘you’re a terrible mum'

APN Hey Mummy Feature for online - stock images of Katie Dykes. Photo Marc Stapelberg / The Northern Star

KATIE'S battle with PND is not unlike many mothers.

'I just thought all mums got no sleep'

MELTOPIA battled PND with all four of her children.

4 survival tips for mummas heading back to work

The few reminders every working mum needs to read.

Health and nutrition with kids - how do you balance it?

HOW important is health and nutrition in your household?

Smack or no smack - where do you stand?

THE debate is reignited - is smacking acceptable?

Technology and kids: Do you ever cut their wi-fi?

Check out our new video series featuring mums having a chat

Mother wants justice for her son

FATAL CRASH: Matthew Cooper was a passenger in the silver Toyota when the red Mitsubishi slammed into it, killing Mr Cooper on January 1, 2015. Photo: Ben Turnbull / NewsMail

“IS THAT all my son’s life is worth – 10 months?”

Sounds of brass at bandstand unveiling

MORNING MUSIC: The Bundaberg Municipal Band plays at yesterday’s reopening of the historic bandstand.

Historic structure gets new lease on life

Hinkler candidate makes misleading comment

WHOOPS: Hinkler One Nation candidate Damian Huxham told voters he was a Liberal supporter eight months after he ran for party at last year’s state election.

Candidate says he supported party months after running for rivals

Latest deals and offers

Clive Palmer to re-open refinery

Clive Palmer on ABC radio.

Clive Palmer talks about his achievements, election chances and re-opening the...

Dash Cam of Slip in Snow

Even light snow can be hazardous.

Dash cam shows how easy it is to lose control in even light snow.

Chaos outside Istanbul Airport

Turkish police block the road after an suicide bomb attack at Ataturk Airport in Istanbul, Turkey, 28 June 2016. At least 10 people were killed in two separate explosions that hit Ataturk Airport.

Distress as cars escape Istanbul airport after bombing.

Burnett Heads housing development approved

COUNCIL APPROVED: A Burnett Heads housing development has been approved by Bundaberg Regional Council. Photo Contributed

Councillors approved the development seven votes to four

Three bedroom, 1100sqm block: Is this Qld's cheapest home?

BARGAIN BUY: Is this North Bundaberg property the cheapest home in Queensland?

Becoming a real estate mogul is all about risk and reward