News

Father of abducted toddler 'felt stupid': court

THE father of the three-year-old girl abducted from Childers last month has fronted court over two public nuisance charges.

The former Childers man, who cannot be identified to protect the identity of his daughter, told the Childers Magistrate Court he did not remember much about the incidents because he "didn't want to remember it", following the two-day disappearance of the toddler.

"Last month was one of the worst months of my life," he said.

His daughter went missing from her Childers home in the early hours of April 10 and police issued a child abduction alert and a search began.

Helicopters, SES and police searched for the missing girl in surrounding bushland, open paddocks, cane farms in the area.

The missing girl's father and mother both made distraught appeals on national television pleading for their daughter to be returned.

His daughter was found at the Childers Showgrounds around 1am on April 12, bringing an end to the frantic search.

The 36-year-old father, who has since left Childers, was charged with the offences the day after the disappearance of his daughter.

The court was told that on April 11, the man caused a disturbance outside the Childers pool after being assaulted.

Police prosecutor Hayley Glover told the court the drunk dad was taken to hospital to receive medical treatment, where he verbally abused staff and refused treatment.

He was later found arguing in the front yard of a friend's house, where he became increasingly aggressive towards a person believed to be his brother, before being arrested.

On April 16, he was again arrested for public nuisance offences after causing a disturbance at the Childers Motel.

The man told the court he "felt so stupid" for his actions.

"There's only one bloke who can change it, isn't there?" magistrate John Smith told him.

The father was fined a total of $1100.

Topics:  child abduction, childers, court




Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Pipeline jobs head south?

UNDER CONSTRUCTION: Australian Gas Networks chief operating officer Andrew Staniford, APA's Matthew Sawyer and Minister for Agriculture & Fisheries Leanne Donaldson. Photo: Mike Knott / NewsMail

Bennett claims Donaldson has broken promises

Spirit of 1770: Stay away from wreck, authority warns

Insurers are said to be planning to salvage the wreck

Milk: Big two hit back over claims they're not restocking

empty milk shelves at Coles at City Centre Plaza

Stores say they can't keep up with demand

Latest deals and offers

Bennett, Langer, Thurston and others talk Cam Smith

Broncos and former QLD coach Wayne Bennett.

Broncos and former QLD coach plus past and present players talk about Cameron...

Landcare - Bundaberg significant trees

ENVIRONMENTAL AWARENESS: President of Bundaberg and District Urban Landcare's Mike Johnson is concerned about the pollution of Saltwater Creek. Photo: Mike Knott / NewsMail

MIKE Johnson said other councils such as Sydney have rules in place to prevent...

Poinciana in Targo St

UNDER THE CANOPY: Mario and Anna Maria D'Addario with the large Poinciana tree in their front garden. Photo: Mike Knott / NewsMail

Mario and Anna Maria D’Addario have been guardians of a poinciana tree which is...

Own Sunshine Coast property? You’re about to make money

UP AND UP: Property owners are likely to win from rent and price increases but tenants and first home buyers might not be so happy. Photo: Brett Wortman / Sunshine Coast Daily

Good new for property owners, not so good for buyers and tenants.

Sale nears on last large block of land in Coolum

The 43.37ha property on South Coolum Rd has sold.

South Coolum Rd property to be land banked