A BUNDABERG man accused of causing more than $80,000 of damage to a government housing property has faced court.
William Neville George Newbold, 28, was charged with one count of wilful damage relating to a period between January 1, 2010 and March this year when he resided at a Department of Communities home in Twyford St.
He yesterday faced Bundaberg Magistrates Court to apply for bail which Police prosecutor Sergeant Barry Stevens objected to.
"It (the department) said over the course of the lease, they had attended the property on several occasions and had been refused entry," Sgt Stevens said.
In March this year, it is alleged they found the house had been abandoned.
"They said it was uninhabitable," Sgt Stevens said.
"There was extensive damage."
It is alleged the destruction was caused to the inside of the house with damage to walls and tiles as well as water damage and stolen fixtures.
"Police intercepted the defendant (yesterday) and he said he didn't know anything about the damage and declined to be interviewed," Sgt Stevens said.
The prosecutor said QBuild quoted the damage caused at $81,931.
"I will tender his history, it's not of great significance," he said.
Sgt Stevens said Newbold's last criminal entry was for breaching probation many years ago.
"In any event he's now no longer living in the house," he said.
"He's temporarily living with his parents (in-law) at (Branyan)."
Sgt Stevens said the objection to Newbold's bail came as a result of him have "very little ties to the area".
"The motivation to flee the area for the seriousness of the offence is high," he said.
But Newbold disagreed, saying his children went to school in the region and that he was residing with his parents-in-law until a permanent address could be found.
"I'm willing to do anything for my bail app like sign in once a day or attend the next court case," he said.
"I'm living with my parents-in-law and three children.
"We're allowed to stay there until we find a place of our own."
Newbold said he had been in his current delivery driver role for a number of years.
Magistrate Barry Barrett said there had been an eight-year gap since Newbold last fronted court and decided he was an acceptable bail risk under the conditions he report to police three times a week and reside at his family's Branyan address.
Newbold will face court again on July 28.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.